Mesa County Public Health (MCPH) has lifted the Sept. 5 No Open Burning Air Watch Alert. Wildfire smoke from other parts of the country aren’t affecting our air quality at this time.

Permitted open burning can resume in Mesa County.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Click here to access the Guide to Burning in Mesa County and to purchase your Open Burn Permit. Questions and concerns regarding permitting for residents who live within Grand Junction city limits should be directed to the Grand Junction Fire Department at (970) 549-5800 or online.

Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste (including leaves and grass clippings, which cannot be burned) can be taken to the Mesa County Organic Materials composting facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50. The facility accepts organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, unpainted lumber, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. The composting facility is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Composting is an excellent alternative, as burning can affect air quality.

For more information on composting, please call (970) 255-0754.