Birth & Death Records
What We Do
Colorado Birth and Death Certificates are protected information, but can be obtained with proper documentation. The individual, parents, grandparents, siblings and spouses and people with a tangible interest qualify.
The price for the first certified copy of a certificate is $20. Additional certified copies, when ordered at the same time and for the same record, are $13.
If you wish to order online please go to www.vitalchek.com. Please call 970-248-6900 with questions.
How can I obtain records?
Apply by mail or email with a birth certificate application in English, a birth certificate application in Spanish, a death certificate application in English, or a death certificate application in Spanish with your check or money order, or provide a phone number and we will call for credit card payment over the phone. A copy of your picture ID is required.
For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service.
- VitalChek Network, Inc.
- Phone at 1-800-255-2414.
- An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa®.
Who can obtain records?
- All vital statistics offices will review applications for certified copies of birth or death certificates to determine the applicant’s direct and tangible interest.
- The official will request supporting documentation when the applicant’s direct and tangible interest in the requested document is unclear.
- This supporting documentation will be used to establish proof of relationship and/or proof of a direct and tangible interest.
- A photocopy of the documentation establishing relationship and /or a direct and tangible interest must be attached to each application.
- Current ID is required. Click here for a list of acceptable forms of ID.
- In certain cases we may be unable to provide you with Birth Certificates and Death Certificates at the time of request. Then we will refer you to the state to process your request.
How much will a record cost?
Birth records are available for all counties in Colorado. There is a fee of $20 for the first copy or for a search of the files when no records are found; additional copies of the same record, obtained at the same time, are $13 each.
Death records are available for deaths which occurred in Mesa County from 1910 to present. Death records are available for deaths which occurred in the whole state from 1975 to present. If you’re looking for a death record prior to 1975, you’ll need to contact the county in which the person died. There is a fee of $20.00 for the first copy or for a search of the files when no records are found; additional copies of the same record, obtained at the same time, are $13.00 each.