In an effort to streamline the burn permitting process, Mesa County Public Health (MCPH) is offering the option to purchase a dual-season open burn permit beginning March 1, 2018.

Residents can still purchase a single-season permit for $10 or they can purchase the dual-season permit for $20. Agricultural open burn permit applications will remain the same with no seasonal parameters and no cost associated.

“Offering the dual-season permit allows residents to take care of both permits in one go, instead of applying each season,” Program Manager Monique Mull said. “We’ve been working with local fire departments for some time to streamline this process and this seemed like the obvious next step.”

Open burners can save a trip to Mesa County Public Health by purchasing and/or applying for permits at Click on “Open Burn Permits” in the menu bar, read through the Guide to Open Burning and fill out the application linked in the guide. The general burn permit application for single-season and dual-season permits will be available beginning March 1. Agricultural open burn permits are available year-round.

Residents who live within Grand Junction City limits will need to purchase their permit through the Grand Junction Fire Department and abide by those burn season rules and regulations. Call (970) 549-5800 or email for more info.

Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste (including leaves and grass clippings, which cannot be burned) can be taken to the Mesa County Organic Materials composting facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50. The facility accepts organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, unpainted lumber, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. The composting facility is open 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Composting is an excellent alternative, as burning can affect air quality.

For more information on composting, please call (970) 255-0754.