Following the lifting of the Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, Fall Open Burn Season will commence as scheduled running from Sept. 1 through Oct. 31. Residents who wish to burn weeds, garden debris or other yard waste as part of their fall cleanup efforts must have an open burn permit valid for the current season.

Residents can apply online for a permit at or in-person at Mesa County Public Health (MCPH), 510 29 ½ Road. Residents who purchased a dual-season permit for the 2018 Spring Open Burn Season and Fall Open Burn Season do not need to purchase another permit.

Residents who live within Grand Junction City Limits will need to purchase their permit through the Grand Junction Fire Department and abide by those burn season rules and regulations. Call (970) 549-5800 or email for more info.

All residents need to have a permit to burn, even agricultural open burners. If you suspect someone in your area is burning illegally, contact non-emergency dispatch at 242-6707.

Residents should note that if the burn season is ended before Oct. 31 due to air quality advisories or any fire restrictions all permits will be voided without refund.

“We’ve been up against smoke from wildfires all summer and we could continue to see that depending on weather patterns and wildfire smoke,” Program Manager Monique Mull said. “If air quality is poor, we have to call for no burn days to protect those community members who could see some negative health effects.”

Composting is also a great option to rid your yard of waste, including leaves and grass clippings – which cannot be burned. The Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy 50, accepts organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. The facility is open from 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Call (970) 263-9319 for more information about composting.