Fall Open Burn Season ends two hours before dusk on Sunday, Oct. 31. Residents must use alternative options instead of burning.

  • Take yard waste to the Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50.  The facility accepts material for composting at no charge and is open from 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday. For more information, call (970) 263-9319.
    • Residents should note that the Mesa County Landfill is required to close during periods of high winds, so if you plan on visiting the Composting Facility on a windy day, call (970) 241-6846 to make sure the facility is open.
  • Compost leaves and grass clippings yourself. This can improve water retention in your yard or garden.
  • Rent or borrow a wood chipper for your tree and shrub trimmings. Chipped branches can also be good mulch.

Agricultural burning may continue through the end of the year with permit. Agricultural open burning is open burning activity conducted in the course of agricultural or commercial crop production. It specifically involves the open burning of cover vegetation for the purpose of preparing the soil, controlling weeds and maintaining irrigation and drainage ditches, water sources and fence lines. The burning of tree trimmings from orchards is considered agricultural open burning. Burning residential leaves, pine needles, cut grass, timber, etc. is not allowed.