Mesa County Health Department begins issuing permits for Fall Open
Burn season today, Sept. 6. The season was delayed due to a county-wide Stage I
fire restriction, which Mesa County Sheriff’s Office officials lifted Sept. 3.
need a permit to burn yard waste.
·        Those who live in Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, Clifton and
Loma should get a permit from their local fire department.
·        Residents of East and Central Orchard Mesa and Whitewater should
get a permit from the Mesa County Health Department.
·         All others should also contact the Mesa County Health Department.
­­­­­­­­­It is OK to
debris, dry weeds, garden debris and tree, shrub or brush trimmings less
than one inch in diameter
. Recreational backyard fires using untreated wood
for fuel are also OK.
It is NOT OK to burn leaves, grass
trimmings, limbs greater than 1 inch in diameter, garbage or household
trash, construction or demolition waste, rubber, plastic, waste petroleum or other
materials that release toxic smoke.
Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste can
be taken to the Mesa County Organic Materials composting facility. They accept
organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, unpainted lumber,
hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. The composting
facility is located at 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50 and is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday through Saturday.
Composting is an excellent
alternative, as burning can affect air quality. Visit for more
information on composting.

For more
information on open burning or to obtain a permit through the Mesa County
Health Department, please call (970) 248-6966 or visit