Contact: Alli Howe
FOOD SAFETY ALERT: GROUND BEEF PRODUCTS RECALLED DUE TO POSSIBLE E. COLI CONTAMINATION
- Mesa County Public Health has been made aware of ground beef products being recalled that could have been distributed in Mesa County.
- The manufacturer, Lakeside Refrigerated Services, is recalling more than 120-thousand pounds of ground beef products shipped to retail locations nationwide that may be contaminated with E. coli O103.
- E. coli are a large and diverse group of bacteria. Although most strains of E. coli are harmless, others can make you sick.
- The specific type found in these products, a Shiga toxin-producing E. coli known as O103, can cause serious illness.
- There have been no confirmed reports of illness or adverse reactions due to consumption of these products.
- Most people show symptoms 3-4 days after being infected with E. coli O103. Common symptoms are diarrhea (often bloody) and vomiting. Some illnesses last longer and can be more severe.
Description of Recalled Products
- The complete list of products and product codes for the beef products that are subject to recall can be found here.
- The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 46841” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
- Labels for the ground beef products can be found here.
Examples of Labels
What Should Consumers Do
- USDA is concerned that some products may be in consumers’ refrigerators or freezers.
- If you have any of the described products, do not eat them. Throw them away or return them.
- Consumers with questions regarding the recall can contact Lakeside Refrigerated Services at 800-493-9042 or email@example.com.
- Consumers with food safety questions can call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 888-MPHotline (888-674-6854) or live chat via Ask USDA from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday.