Mesa County Public Health has been made aware of ice cream products being recalled that could have been distributed in Mesa County. The manufacturer, Real Kosher Ice Cream, is recalling soft serve ice cream and sorbet cups due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes (or L. monocytogenes).

 

Description of Recalled Products

  • Soft Serve on the Go Ice Cream Cups. Flavors: caramel, chocolate, Parve vanilla chocolate, peanut butter lite, razzle, sorbet strawberry mango, and vanilla.
  • A more detailed description of the products that are subject to the recall can be found on the FDA website.
  • They are sold at grocery stores and convenience stores. Real Kosher Ice Cream also distributes to long-term care facilities, schools, and camps.

What Should Consumers Do

  • Check your freezers. Listeria can survive at freezing temperatures.
  • Throw them away or return them to where you bought them for a refund.
  • If you have any questions, contact the company at 845-668-4346 or info@softserveonthego.com (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5 pm EST).

Listeria Description and Treatment

  • Consumption of food contaminated with L. monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a serious infection that primarily affects older adults, persons with weakened immune systems, and pregnant women and their newborns.
  • Symptoms of listeriosis include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and/or convulsions sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. It can be an invasive infection that spreads beyond the gastrointestinal tract.
    • In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. 
    • Serious and sometimes fatal infections may occur in older adults and persons with weakened immune systems. 
  • Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics. Persons in the higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell the health care provider about eating the contaminated food.