Good nutrition habits will not only set children up for success in school but also later in life.
It’s difficult to do your best without the proper fuel!
Children should eat a healthy breakfast every day before school and also make healthy choices for lunch during the school day as well.
Here are some tips and ideas for healthy meals:
Eat fruits, grains and protein.
- Low-fat yogurt
- Whole-grain toast
- Whole-grain bagel with peanut butter
- Whole-grain pancakes, French Toast or waffles
- Cereal with milk
- English muffin with cheese
- Whole-grain muffin
- Trail mix
Consider investing in a Bento box, which makes sending fresh food to school with your child easier.
- Pizza roll-ups made with a whole-wheat tortilla, pizza sauce, spinach and low-fat cheese (rolled up, then sliced)
- Veggies and dip (consider cucumbers and bell peppers along with the traditional carrots and broccoli)
- Watermelon cut into stars or other fun shapes
- Strawberry and cream cheese sandwich
- Couscous and fruit salad