The community is encouraged to test for COVID-19 before holiday gatherings and free testing kits are available.
“With the holidays approaching and COVID-19 numbers increasing in our community, now is the time to make sure you have these tests on hand,” said Julie Hartshorn, COVID-19 Outreach Educator.
The free tests are available for pick up during regular business hours inside the Health and Human Services Building while supplies last. There is a limit of two boxes per person, which includes four individual tests.
The rapid tests are easy to use and take less than 30 minutes to learn the results.
Testing for COVID-19 is important because you learn quickly if you are actively spreading COVID-19 to others and can start the recommended isolation. You can also begin treatment to reduce the severity of your illness.
“If you have symptoms, you can test and know right away before gathering with loved ones who may be more vulnerable to serious illness,” said Hartshorn.
WHERE TO GET TESTS
- Kiosk inside Health and Human Services Building
- 510 29 1/2 Road in Grand Junction
- Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, 7:30 a.m. to noon.
WHEN TO TEST
- If you have symptoms. Symptoms include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell.
- After exposure to someone with COVID-19. Wait five full days to test after being exposed.
- Before gathering with a group of people, especially those who are at risk of severe disease.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS
- Call the Info Line at Mesa County Public Health at 970-248-6900.