- Mesa County Public Health has received Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine and is ready to administer to the community.
- This vaccine is for residents who have not been previously vaccinated for COVID-19.
- To schedule an appointment, call 970-248-6900.
- Approved for adults 18-years-old and older.
- Two dose series only (no third dose, and not available for a booster to any other vaccine).
- For healthy individuals, 2nd dose can be scheduled 3-8 weeks after the 1st dose.
- For immunocompromised individuals, 2nd dose should be scheduled 3 weeks after the 1st dose.
- According to CDPHE, late-stage trials found Novavax had a 90.4% efficacy.
- Reportedly shows broad immune response to Omicron, including sub variants BA.4 and BA.5.
HOW IT WORKS
- First protein-based COVID-19 vaccine.
- Other protein-based vaccines include hepatitis B, HPV, pertussis, and tetanus.
- Contains a small amount of spike protein taken directly from COVID-19 virus (formulated to not cause disease).
- Contains adjuvant, which boosts the immune system.
- Protein and adjuvant work together to teach the immune system how to fight COVID-19.
- May be preferable for people who would rather not get an mRNA-based vaccine.
The best way to slow the spread of COVID-19 and prevent hospitalization and death remains staying up to date on vaccinations, and getting tested and staying home if you feel sick.