Mesa County Public Health will begin accepting residential burn permit applications on March 1. The spring burn season runs through April 30 for the City of Grand Junction, and through May 31 for the rest of the county. Mesa County Public Health issues permits for everyone in the county, including those within city limits. These permits cost $25 and are valid during both designated burn seasons for the calendar year. All of the proceeds from the permits support local fire protection districts.

Agricultural burn permits are free. Within the city limits of Grand Junction, agricultural burning is permitted only during the designated fall and spring seasons. Outside of the city, agricultural burning is allowed year-round.



The easiest way to obtain a permit is through Mesa County Public Health’s online system. The permit will be emailed to you right after check out. If you need assistance navigating the online portal, call our team at 970-248-6900. You can also apply in person at the Health and Human Services Building at 510 29 ½ Road. 



Once you have a permit, it’s important to monitor air quality, weather, and other safety alerts. Burn permits are not valid if there is a red flag warning, fire restriction, or a no burn advisory in place. Air quality information can be found on Mesa County Public Health’s website. The Air Quality page makes tracking air quality conditions and advisories easy to access.



Open burning pollutes the air and poses a fire hazard. Mesa County Public Health encourages alternatives, such as composting or wood chipping, if possible. The Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste accepts organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, hay, and straw. It is free of charge for Mesa County residents. They are located at 3071 U.S. Hwy 50.