Mesa County Public Health will begin accepting residential burn permit applications on September 1. The fall burn season runs through September 30 for the City of Grand Junction, and through October 31 for the rest of Mesa County. Permits for everyone in the county (including those within city limits) are issued by Mesa County Public Health. These permits cost $25 and are valid during both designated burn seasons for the calendar year. All of the proceeds from the permits support local fire protection districts.

Agricultural burn permits are free. Within the city limits of Grand Junction, agricultural burning is permitted only during the designated fall and spring seasons. Outside of the city, agricultural burning is allowed year-round.

The easiest way to obtain a permit is through Mesa County Public Health’s online system. This online tool has been re-designed and is easier than ever to navigate and use. Your permit will be emailed to you right after check out. If you need assistance navigating the online portal, please call our team at 970-248-6900. You can also come to Mesa County Public Health for assistance at 510 29 ½ Road. 

Once you have a permit, it’s important to monitor air quality, weather, and other safety alerts.

Burn permits are not valid if there is a red flag warning, fire restriction, or a no burn advisory in place. Air quality information can be found on the Mesa County Public Health website. The Air Quality page makes tracking air quality conditions and advisories easy to access.

Open burning pollutes the air and poses a fire hazard. Consider alternatives, such as composting or wood chipping, if possible. The Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy 50, accepts organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, hay, and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents.