Spring open burning season is underway in Mesa County. Many residents
take advantage of the season to burn weeds, garden debris or other yard waste
as part of their spring cleanup efforts.
To burn yard waste, however, residents need a permit.
Those who live in Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, Clifton and
Loma should get a permit from their local fire department. Residents of East
and Central Orchard Mesa and Whitewater should get a permit from the Mesa
County Health Department. All others should also contact the Mesa County Health
Mesa County’s spring open
burning season continues through May 31.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­It is
OK to burn
debris, dry weeds, garden debris and tree, shrub or brush trimmings less than
one inch in diameter. Recreational bonfires using untreated wood for fuel are
also OK.
It is not OK to burn leaves, grass
trimmings, limbs greater than 1 inch in diameter, garbage or household trash,
construction or demolition waste, rubber, plastic, waste petroleum or other
materials that release toxic smoke.
Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste (including
leaves and grass clippings, which cannot be burned) can be taken to the Mesa
County Organic Materials composting facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071
U.S. Hwy. 50. The facility accepts organic materials such as leaves, grass
clippings, tree limbs, unpainted lumber, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa
County residents. The composting facility is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday
through Saturday. Composting is an excellent alternative, as burning can affect
air quality.
For more
information on composting, please call (970) 255-0754.

For more
information on open burning or to obtain a permit through the Mesa County
Health Department, please call (970) 248-6966 or visit health.mesacounty.us/openburn.