Fall open burning season begins today and will run through Oct. 31.

Many residents take advantage of the season to burn weeds, garden
debris or other yard waste as part of their fall cleanup efforts.
Residents must have a permit to burn any yard waste.
Those who live in Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, Clifton and
Loma should get a permit from their local fire department. Residents of East
and Central Orchard Mesa and Whitewater should get a permit from the Mesa
County Health Department. All others should also contact the Mesa County Health
Mesa County’s fall open
burning season continues through Oct. 31. Always check
health.mesacounty.us/environment/air for Air Watch Alerts before burning, even
if you have a permit.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­It is
OK to burn
debris, dry weeds, garden debris and tree, shrub or brush trimmings less
than one inch in diameter
. Recreational bonfires using untreated wood for
fuel are also OK.
It is NOT OK to burn leaves, grass
trimmings, limbs greater than 1 inch in diameter, garbage or household
trash, construction or demolition waste, rubber, plastic, waste petroleum or
other materials that release toxic smoke.
Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste can
be taken to the Mesa County Organic Materials composting facility. They accept
organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, unpainted
lumber, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. The composting
facility is located at 3071 U.S. Hwy. 50 and is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday through Saturday.
Composting is an excellent
alternative, as burning can affect air quality.
Visit mesacounty.us/swm/compost/facility.aspx for more
information on composting.

For more
information on open burning or to obtain a permit through the Mesa County
Health Department, please call (970) 248-6966 or visit health.mesacounty.us.