It’s October, and those leaves might be piling up in your yard.

Before you burn your yard waste, though, make sure you have a permit. Also, do it before Oct. 31. Fall open burn season is Sept. 1-Oct. 31.

During the spring and fall of each year, the Mesa County Residential Open Burning Control Regulation provides for the legal open burning of dry weeds, garden waste and tree, shrub or brush trimmings less than 1 inch in diameter.
Permits are needed. 
If you live on East Orchard Mesa, central Orchard Mesa or in the Whitewater/Land’s End Fire Districts, get a permit from the Mesa County Health Department for $10. The Health Department is located at 510 29 1/2 Road in Grand Junction. The phone number is 970-248-6900.
Otherwise, permits are available from respective fire district stations: Clifton, Fruita-Lower Valley, Grand Junction, Palisade and DeBeque. Those fees range from $5 to $15.
For more information, visit