Public Health Emerging Issues
July 14, 2021
COVID-19 SITUATION UPDATE
Delta Variant Spread
- There are 634 cases of Delta variant in Mesa County.
- We estimate the total number of Delta variant cases to be much higher.
- Not all positive COVID-19 tests are tested again for variants.
- Variant testing occurs through random sampling of positive tests.
- We have seen a decline in Delta variant cases in the most recent week.
- For the week ending June 6, 108 Delta variant cases were reported.
- For the week ending June 13, 60 Delta variant cases were reported.
- These variants are more transmissible and can be more severe, with recent studies showing nearly double the hospitalization risk with the Delta variant.
- Available vaccines reduce severe illness, including hospitalization and death, associated with all COVID-19 strains, including emerging variants.
- Testing is FREE.
- The Mesa County community COVID-19 testing site offers the Cue test, a highly accurate, rapid COVID-19 test. Results are available in about 20 minutes.
- Cue and PCR testing is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of Mesa County Public Health (MCPH), located at 510 29 ½ Road.
- Appointments are not required, but you can pre-register online to save time.
- Vaccines are FREE.
- The Power the Comeback COVID-19 Vaccine Bus is making stops at the following locations:
- July 14 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Central Library, 443 N. 6th St.
- July 14 from 3 p.m.to 8 p.m. at Orchard Mesa Lanes, 295 27 Road
- July 15 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Capco. 1328 Winters
- July 16 from 8 a.m.to 5 p.m. a Western Colorado Contractors Association Industry Day Vaccine Event at 2405 Patterson Road
- July 17 from 11 a.m.to 6 p.m. at Cesar Chavez Day at Las Colonias Park, 725 Struthers
- July 21 from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Community Hospital, 2351 G Road
- July 21 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at St. Mary’s Hospital Pavilion, 750 Wellington Ave.
- July 29 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Community Food Bank, 476 28 1/2 Rd
- MCPH offers COVID-19 vaccinations in a Mobile Vaccine Van at the Market on Main (5th and Main St.) every Thursday from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
*No appointment, ID, or insurance is required for any bus/van vaccinations.
- MCPH wants to support our business community through up-to-date information on employee vaccination and has put together a toolkit to help employers and organizations schedule on-site vaccination clinics and navigate COVID-19 vaccination in the workplace. Download the toolkit here.
Your Vaccine is Waiting
- The Community Vaccination Site, located at 510 29 ½ Road, accepts walk-ins for COVID-19 vaccine.
- Hours of operation are Wednesday through Friday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- All three vaccine types are available, residents are able to choose which vaccine they would like.
- Immediate scheduling for appointments is still available. An appointment can make the process a little smoother.
- Schedule your vaccine today using these links: English or Spanish.
- Search for other vaccine providers in our area including pharmacies and medical clinics, many offer walk-in vaccination. This provider map is updated weekly.
- Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is quick and easy, plan for about 30 minutes.
Make a Plan
- As you plan summertime activities and get ready for the school year, remember that full protection builds in the two weeks following your second dose (or after your first dose of a single dose vaccine).
- If you would like to talk to someone about scheduling or the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines, call 970-248-6900 and press option 7.
- Individuals who are more comfortable communicating in Spanish are encouraged to call the Mesa County Public Health Spanish-language line at 970-255-3700.
Latest Data Vaccine Data
- As of the week ending July 3, 54,838 first doses and 56,264 second doses have been administered in Mesa County for a total of 111,102 doses. By age that breaks down as the following percentages for first doses:
- Approximately 42% of Mesa County residents age 12 and older are fully vaccinated, meaning they have received both doses in a two-dose series, or a single dose vaccine. A Vaccine Dashboard is updated weekly on the MCPH website with new data related to vaccine by age group.