Public Health Emerging Issues
April 8, 2021
COVID-19 VACCINATION UPDATE
- Mesa County entered Phase 2 (the general public) of vaccine distribution on April 2. Eligible populations include all individuals 16 years and older as well as previously qualifying individuals.
- Appointments are required for COVID-19 vaccination, visit our website for vaccine scheduling links available in English and Spanish for an appointment as soon as the next day.
- This week, we are administering about 1,000 vaccine doses per day though we have enough vaccine to administer about 1,500 doses per day.
- As of the week ending April 4, 42,775 first doses and 21,513 second doses have been administered in Mesa County for a total of 64,288 doses.
- We estimate approximately 66% of individuals age 70+ and 59% of those between the ages of 60-69 have received a first dose. Our community goal is 75% for these age groups as they are most at risk for severe outcomes related to COVID-19.
- Approximately 27% of the total Mesa County eligible population (16 years and older) is fully vaccinated, meaning they have received both doses in a two-dose series, or a single dose vaccine.
- It takes approximately two weeks for the vaccine to provide full protection.
- A Vaccine Dashboard is updated weekly on the Mesa County Public Health (MCPH) website.
- MCPH continues to operate a Community Vaccination Site located at the Grand Junction Convention Center at 159 Main St, Grand Junction, CO 81501.
- The largely volunteer-run effort uses 140-200 volunteers each day including 50 medical volunteers (vaccinators, draw nurses, observation) and hundreds of non-medical volunteers (navigators, data entry).
- VOLUNTEERS ARE ALWAYS NEEDED! If you would like to volunteer to help, sign up here.
- If you are unable to complete scheduling online call 970-248-6900. Press Option 7, and leave a callback number. Individuals who are more comfortable communicating in Spanish should call the Mesa County Public Health Spanish-language line at 970-255-3700.
- The State of Colorado has set up a Vaccine Hotline, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with answers to general vaccine questions available in multiple languages. Call 1-877-CO-VAX-CO (1-877-268-2926).