With the support of local fire chiefs, on March 1, 2021, the Spring Burn Season will return. Last Spring, Mesa County’s Open Burn Season was suspended and ultimately canceled due to resource and air quality concerns from the COVID-19 pandemic. In the Fall of 2020 after a historic wildfire season, including the Pine Gulch Fire, a burn ban remained in effect due to significant wildfire risk canceling the Fall Open Burn Season.

Community members are encouraged to use Mesa County Public Health’s online system to obtain a permit. This online tool has been re-designed and is easier than ever to navigate and use. Your permit will be emailed to you right after check out.

  • Agricultural Burn Permits are issued with no fee. Within Grand Junction City Limits, agricultural burning is permitted during the designated spring and fall seasons. Outside of the City, agricultural burning is allowed year-round. Permit Holders should only burn when conditions are acceptable for burning.
  • Residential Burn Permits cost $25 and are valid during the designated spring and fall seasons of the calendar year. All proceeds from the permits support your local fire protection district.
  • If you purchased a Burn Permit last year, there is no charge for your permit this year. Please make sure to indicate your previous purchase on your application.
  • We encourage the use of our online system to minimize in-person interaction and to keep everyone safe during COVID-19. If you would like assistance obtaining a permit, please call our team at 970-248-6900. 

Once you have a permit, it’s important to monitor air quality, weather, and other safety alerts. Burn permits are not valid if there is a red flag warning, fire restriction, or a no burn advisory in place. Air quality information can be found on the Mesa County Public Health website. A re-designed Air Quality page makes tracking air quality conditions and advisories easy to access. 

Burn season runs through May 31 in Mesa County and April 30 in the City of Grand Junction.  Permits for everyone in the County (including those within city limits) are issued by Mesa County Public Health.

Open burning pollutes the air and poses a fire hazard. Consider alternatives, such as composting or wood chipping, if possible. The Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy 50, accepts organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, hay, and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. 

To view other alternatives to burning, and for additional information about burn permits, check out our Guide to Burning.