Spring Open Burn Season begins March 1 and runs through May 31 in Mesa County and through April 30 in the City of Grand Junction. Permits for everyone in the County (including those within city limits) are issued by Mesa County Public Health (MCPH). 

Residential Burn Permits cost $25 and are valid during the designated spring and fall seasons of the calendar year. All proceeds from the permits support your local fire protection district. 

To minimize in-person interaction and to keep everyone safe during COVID-19 residents are encouraged to apply for a permit online at health.mesacounty.us. Permits can also be issued by visiting MCPH at 510 29 ½ Road or calling 970-248-6900.

Permit Holders should only burn when conditions are acceptable for burning. Once a permit is obtained, residents must monitor weather and other safety alerts to ensure burning happens only on days where the conditions are favorable for smoke dispersal, as well as suitable conditions for fire safety.  A permit is not valid if there is a red flag warning, weather advisory, fire restriction, or an air quality alert in place.

Open burning pollutes the air and poses a fire hazard. Consider alternatives, such as composting or wood chipping, if possible. The Mesa County Organic Materials Composting Facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy 50, accepts organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, tree limbs, hay, and straw free of charge from Mesa County residents. 

To view other alternatives to burning, and for additional information about burn permits, check out our Guide to Burning.