Spring open burn season begins Tuesday, March 1 in Mesa County.
Many residents take advantage of the season to burn weeds, garden debris or
other yard waste as part of their spring cleanup efforts.
To burn yard waste, however, residents need a permit.
East Orchard Mesa, Lands End and Clifton fire districts will not
issue open burn permits this year. Residents who normally purchase permits from
those locations should contact Mesa County Health Department at 248-6900 to
purchase a permit.
Mesa County’s spring open
burning season continues through May 31.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­It is
OK to burn
debris, dry weeds, garden debris and tree, shrub or brush trimmings less than one inch in diameter. Recreational
bonfires using untreated wood for fuel are also OK.
It is not OK to burn leaves, grass
trimmings, limbs greater than 1 inch in
, garbage or household trash, construction or demolition waste, rubber,
plastic, waste petroleum or other materials that release toxic smoke.
Consider composting. Instead of burning, yard waste (including
leaves and grass clippings, which cannot be burned) can be taken to the Mesa County Organic
composting facility at Mesa County Solid Waste, 3071 U.S. Hwy.
50. The facility accepts organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings,
tree limbs, unpainted lumber, hay and straw free of charge from Mesa County
residents. The composting facility is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday through
Saturday. Composting is an excellent alternative, as burning can affect air

For more
information on open burning or to obtain a permit through the Mesa County
Health Department, please call (970) 248-6966 or visit health.mesacounty.us/openburn.